Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Questions to Ask a Landlord

Let me share some literature that I’ve collected at time of renting an Atlanta apartment. These questions are prepared to ask my landlord and I am successful in implementing them to find my right apartment. I hope this will help you finding your right apartment.

Business Matters
  • When is rent due? Is there a grace period?
  • What are the late fees? When do they take effect?
  • How should I pay rent? Can I pay with cash? With a credit card?
  • Is rent collected at the office?
  • Are any utilities included in the rent?
  • Do I need to set up my own electrical or other services?
  • Are utilities charged to individual apartments or averaged between residents?
  • How long have you been in business? Do you manage other properties?
  • Where can I submit a complaint about management or maintenance, if I have one?
  • Are there any move-in specials on rent? Any special gifts for new tenants?
  • Do I get reduced rent if I refer a friend?
Maintenance Issues
  • How large is the maintenance staff?
  • How do I file a request for maintenance services?
  • How long does it usually take for services to be completed?
  • How does management staff handle complaints about maintenance?
  • What are your most common maintenance requests?
  • When is the last time the unit I’m looking at was updated or remodeled?
  • What modifications do you make to units between tenants?
  • How do you handle pest control? What are your most common pests?
  • Does maintenance ever enter apartments without giving notice?
Community Affairs
  • What types of people live in the complex?
  • Does management organize any community events? What types?
  • What facilities are offered (pool, gym, business center)? What are the hours?
  • Do I need passes to use these facilities? Can my guests use these facilities?
  • How can I submit a request to have the facilities cleaned or updated?
  • Is there a community bulletin board or other way for residents to communicate?
  • How can I report problems with another resident? How do you handle such issues?
  • What is the most common complaint by residents about other residents?
  • Are there many children in the complex? Are they well attended?
  • Are there community baby-sitting services?
Parking Problems
  • How is the parking situation?
  • Do residents have assigned spots?
  • Do I need a parking pass?
  • Can I get covered parking? A garage?
  • Are car break-ins a problem?
Safety Issues
  • How safe is the apartment?
  • Is the community gated? Does the gate open with a code, a card, or another method?
  • Have you had any break-ins in the past year? How did you address them?
  • What is the most common safety complaint of residents?
  • Does the door have a deadbolt? Can I have one installed?
  • How can I verify that you’ve changed the locks between residents?

No comments: